Working from Home with Dogs: Top 9 Barkin’ Wow National Dog Day Side Hustles
A Little Background on National Dog Day
National Dog Day was established in 2004 by a person and dog lover: pet advocate Colleen Paige. When’s National Dog Day? August 26, and it occurs every year. It is not only a national Dog Day, but also considered an international Dog Day celebration.
DID YOU KNOW? National Dog Day was written into New York State law in 2013 (and can be seen displayed on New York State Senate’s website).
Upcoming National International Dog Days Calendar
|2023||Saturday, August 26, 2023|
|2024||Monday, August 26, 2024|
|2025||Tuesday, August 26, 2025|
|2026||Wednesday, August 26, 2026|
Working from Home with Dogs Side Hustles (MORE than 9!)
Working from Home with Dogs or working from home with a puppy is not always the easiest. You probably wish you weren’t leaving dog home alone while at work. Can you swing working from home, instead of leaving your dog while at work? Try it!
Working from Home with Dogs can be a great way to make some extra cash. And what better day to start than on National Dog Day? Here are 9 Barkin’ Wow side hustles you can do from the comfort of your own home (or at least as a side business locally from home):
- Walk Dogs for Money: offer dog-walking services in your neighborhood. This is a great way to get some exercise while making some money on the side. Walking dogs for cash is probably the easiest side hustle to start up, and with basically no startup at all.
- Have a Model Dog that likes the Limelight? Dog modeling agencies are looking for talent all the time. Does your dog have what it takes? Find out here.
- Start a pet photography business. If you’ve got an eye for capturing cute moments, this could be the perfect side hustle for you. Good with the camera and with animals? You have a creative outlet here, and a captive audience of pet and dog owners who appreciate getting the best photos of their animals.
- Run Your Own Dog Camp. Offer private all-year round dog hikes/adventure outings! Get dogs outside and happy, enriching their days (ordinarily spent indoors) and give them the best “sniffari” opportunities you can–while helping out the owners.
- Start a pet-sitting business. This is perfect for people who love animals but can’t commit to owning one themselves. Get your dog and furry fix every day without the long term responsibility and immobility of owning.
- Rent your yard as dog park business—for one or more dogs in your local area (or for visiting guests in the area). Be a Dog Hero and the owners with limited space will love you, too! There are several apps to help you get started here. It doesn’t need to be your yard; any land or acreage can work for this side hustle, so it can qualify as a truly passive income hustle if you don’t have to be present or actively manage.
- Offer dog-training services. Do you have a knack for teaching furry friends new tricks? Why not put that talent to good use and start charging for your services? This side hustle is not for everyone, and you will need to have significant ability with dogs and especially dogs with issues.
- Create and sell homemade dog treats. Got a secret recipe for doggy delights? Share it with the world (and make some money in the process)! Etsy has lots of dog treat sellers, but there is room for more. APPA reports that 70% of US households owned at least one pet in 2020 and pet owners, especially younger generation pet owners, are more and more interested in the quality of the food and treats they are feeding to their animals.
- Design and sell custom pet products. From leashes and collars to toys and accessories, there’s no limit to what you can create.
But Wait–Here’s More Working from Home with Dogs Money Making Bonus IDEAS
- Offer dog-grooming services. Whether it’s giving baths, trimming nails, or anything in between, grooming is a service that will always be in demand.
- Launch a pet-sitting app. Use your entrepreneurial spirit to create the next big thing in pet care! Investigate other pet-friendly apps before you dive in. You might be able to find a perfect niche that no one else has thought of.
- Write a pet-themed blog or column. Share your love of all things furry (or feathered, or scaly) with the world, and make some money while you’re at it. Want to get started blogging about dogs? Follow our beginner blogger (MAKE MONEY IDEA #1) for how to become one of the successful bloggers by getting started on the right foot today. Just like birth parents (and adoptive parents) LOVE to talk about their stories, consider writing about the day you rescued your adorable pup, and other fun and more serious times.
MORE DOG DAY AFTERNOONS: When is National Rescue Dog Day?
It is May 20th, every year. Not sure how to celebrate it with your furry friend? NationalRescueDogDay.com has lots of great ideas how to make your best rescue friend feel extra special, from, of course going the extra mile and adopting a dog from a local shelter or a pure breed rescue group to teaching your favorite young person the importance of treating animals well and humanely, and that kindness, unconditional love, and responsible care of all animals matters.
NEXT NATIONAL DOG RESCUE DAY is Saturday, May 20, 2023.
So Is There a National Pet Day as well?
YES! April 11 is National Pet Day. It is an “unofficial” holiday taking place every year to encourage people to appreciate how pets enhance their lives. Those people with pets probably find this day a good excuse to give their pets an extra bit of appreciation.
NEXT NATIONAL PET DAY is Tuesday April 11, 2023.
Why are Dog Businesses a Good Gig to Consider?
Besides the obvious BIG PLUS of working from home with dogs, the business of dogs and dog business is really growing. It’s been estimated that the US pet industry was $99 billion in 2020. One thing is clear from the numbers: The industry is clearly growing, year over year: it grew from $97.5 billion in 2019 to $99 billion in 2020, for example.
INTERESTING FACTS about Dogs and People
The Study of Dog Evolution is Progressing and Getting Clearer
Famously, dogs were the first species that humans ever tamed.
According to The Verge, modern dogs probably descended from just one population that lived continuously in Europe for millennia, according to the research led by Krishna Veeramah at Stony Brook University. Generally speaking, approximately anywhere from between 14,000 and 29,000 years ago, dogs first became domesticated somewhere in northern Eurasia (Europe and Asia).
Summing It All Up
Working from home with dogs can be a great way to make some extra money. There are a number of different ways to do this, and you can tailor your side hustle to fit your own skills and interests. For example, you could start a dog walking business or offer pet sitting services. You could also use your skills as a photographer to capture special moments for pet parents, or create custom pet products like personalized collars or leashes.
Calling all Creatives–New Ideas?
If you’re crafty, you could even create hand-painted portraits of people’s pets. National Dog Day is the perfect time to start promoting your services, and you can use social media to reach a wider audience. In addition to promoting your own business, you could also use this day to raise awareness for rescue dogs and promote adoption. There are a number of ways to make a difference for dogs in need, and every little bit helps.
Working from Home with Dogs RESOURCES
The Humane Society of the United States
Current projects of the Humane Society of the United States include: removing approximately 4,000 beagles from a mass breeding facility with multiple humane violations such as inadequate veterinary care and insufficient food.
|Want MORE Make MONEY Ideas? Wish You Could WORK From HOME? Looking for a Good SIDE Hustle?|